Sunday, November 18, 2007

A nice visit

We don't get many visits from relatives, simply they are too far away, and getting on in years. However, every year just before Thanksgiving, my uncles from my mom's side of the family come up for a short stay. Uncle David, is the next to the oldest and will be 83 at the end of the month. He can't hear so you have to talk to him pretty loud, but he's great. He is very artistic too, as a matter of fact he sells his paintings and is going to draw a sketch of my dad, so I'm curious to see how it turns out. My mom is a very artistic woman, she has surprised us all numerous times, once, she took a drawing of a locomotive engine that was extensively detailed and copied it line for line, I remember she would sit at the kitchen table with a magnifying glass studying that picture. I still have it somewhere. I think she missed her calling. My uncle Billy works for the State of Arkansas, as the head of health and sanitation (not sure if it's for the county-Poinsett, but I think so). He's a quiet, reserved sort of guy, but he and I can get into some great conversations about different events each time he comes. I keep telling mom we need to get down to where they live,(uncle David lives in West Memphis and uncle Billy lives in Cherry Valley, Ar.). We used to go visit them when we lived in Memphis, it was really cool, because my grandparents lived on a working farm, chickens, cows, pigs, all that good stuff. They did not have a lot of material things, I loved going to Cherry Valley. They had a huge screened in front porch where the deep freezer was kept at, always had ice cream in there for us kids, and cases of Dr.Pepper.
My brother, Mike showed up after they left, but it was all right. I hadn't seen him in awhile and we try not to talk about his marriage, which is a story in itself!
I would like to take mom back "home" before she gets to where it will be an impossibility. She has to use oxygen 24/7 and traveling a great distance tires her out. Maybe some day soon I'll be able to figure out how to get her down there without it being a burden on her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.