Sunday, October 3, 2010

Night Stalkers or Day Trippers?

I enjoyed Aron Wong's article about who has the upper hand when it comes to night owls and early birds-


Benjamin Franklin believed that “early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.” His basic formula is as follows:

Sleep early + Wake up early = Health + Wealth + Wisdom
- from Aron Wong's article Night Owls vs. Early Birds

I do enjoy getting up early, drinking coffee and watching the sun rise, but not for work

It is the nature of most animals to sleep through the night. It is supposed to rejuvenate the soul and repair your body from the daily grind. However, there are nocturnal animals and they do just fine.
My mother is a night owl, as a child growing up, I remember her staying up late into the night. These days, due to her medication she takes and no longer in the work force, she sleeps when she's sleepy.
My father was a cop, therefore he slept when he had the chance. His shifts rotated on a monthly basis and it wasn't until years later did he really establish a sleep pattern. But I think he was the early bird who took naps. Now he is in eternal sleep and does not worry about bedtime.

I have an IQ of 126. I think I got most of that when I worked the fifteen + years on the swing/graveyard shifts. I did make more money. I slept better too because I woke without the aid of an alarm clock. I like being up late at night when the rest of the world is sleeping and the house is quite, it's prime writing time for me.

If I had business to conduct during the day I could get it done before I went to bed. Now I have to take off work....I go to bed by eight pm and rise by three am (using an alarm clock). I think my IQ has dropped to 100 and I cry when I look at my paycheck.

.

For more information about this debate:

http://www.bmj.com/content/317/7174/1675.abstract

And....
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200911/intelligence-the-evolution-night-owls




To visit Aron Wong's blog on this subject go to:
http://www.lookingformylife.com/home/2010/3/16/night-owls-vs-early-birds-who-will-win-morning-or-night-peop.html

No comments: