Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Is Drinking A Sin?

There are those who say yes, and those who say no. If done in moderation it's okay. Jesus drank wine. Wine is made from grapes, grapes are fruit, fruit is meant to be eaten and pulverized into juice.

I say it depends on the situation.

If you have a drink with dinner, or an after dinner drink, I do not believe this constitutes a sinful mark against your soul. Should you decide to sit under a tree or a sandy knoll on the beach to watch the sun set with a bottle of Corona or a Michelob, no that's enjoying your life and appreciating God's art.
If you attend a party and have a few too many is that a sin? I say it depends on the actions you take thereafter. To get behind the wheel  in a severe intoxicated state is commiting a sin because you take the risk of causing injury or death.
Should your intentions to commit a sinful act stems from drinking, then yes it is.

Go over the top everyday, I'd say you're addicted.


Should you live your life by the bottle then yes it is a sin. Why?
Because you chose to let it lead you down that path.
For more on this debate go to http://philthompsonlive.com/



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting way of looking at it! I am an alcoholic (sober exactly 3 and a half years today) and being in AA led me back to God - you can't get past Step 3 without a higher power, and for me that's the God I grew up with but drifted away from. I didn't think of drinking in terms of sinning when I was "out there" but now that I've turned my will and my life over to His care (that's Step 3) it WOULD be a sin to drink again! Also a betrayal of all the people in AA who have helped me, the family that's supported me, the boss that didn't fire me for drinking because I got help...so many people, and myself, and God over all.

Connie Clark said...

Thank you for posting your comment. I appreciate you sharing your expirence. Good luck and God Bless.