Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Online writer's conference and updates

Hello to allayaz!

The last time I posted here, I was preparing for a fifty-thousand word challenge (JulNoWriMo) similiar to the one I participated in November. I didn't meet the goal, too many things were going on and too many distractions, and August is turning out to be no different!
I'm in the fifth day of a new word count challenge, (AugNoWriMo) but so far, I only have about 1,450; not too good but, that's okay. The good news is the goal this time is for 35k, and I can continue on Savant. I want to have the first draft of it done before November, cause in that month, It's 50k all the way! It's the mother of all word count challenges, the National Novel Writer's Month or as I will refer to as NaNo. I'll post more about it as the time gets closer. (I know, everybody's groaning. Kiss my ass. *snicker*).

My writing totem shown here hasn't been much help, maybe he just feels sorry for me.

For those of you who do write or are intrested in learning how to write: in October there will be a free, online writer's conference. You can go to this website and check it out. http://www.themuseonlinewritersconference.com/

Last year was the first year for this type of conference and it's one of the coolest things I have ever done. I didn't have to go nowhere, spend lots of money on gas, lodging and getting lost. I didn't have to put on makeup or even take a shower, nor did I have to go out and buy new clothes, ('cause I would of, everything I own either has holes, bleach spots, stains and what have you because of my job). I could take my time, check out the different forums and chat rooms where authors, editors, agents and other writing professionals let you ask questions. In the forums there are different workshops and writing challenges.
It was because of this conference that the internet became a valuable source for an aspiring writer such as myself as well as for writers of all genres and styles. I had no idea there was so much information! I found a writer's group where I can post material without worrying about publication rights and such, several sites about writing, writing contests, writing online magazines, newsletters, and yahoo groups. A person could get caught up so easy in all of those wonderful tools they may not get that writing project off the ground!
It's hard to not check out those places from a writer's point of view, many of them have great information! I'm always learning something or refreshing my brain with tips, not a thing wrong with that!
I love to write, it's a passion I've had on the back burner for a long, long, long, time, and only in the past year and a half have I become seriously serious! This time, no matter how many rejection letters I get, I will keep on keepin' on. that's what you are supposed to do if you have passion and want to succeed. I love the research and character building, plotting the plot and outlinning the outlines. I love the whole ordeal about writing except finding the right agent, a process I've only checked into briefly. I problably won't get too serious about that part until I've finished the novel and put it through the second draft. The search can take a long time too, so I have to make sure I have those who would find an interest in even reading any of my material. By the time I have submitted the necessary requirements to each of my prospective agent picks, I'll have gone through the third revision probably. I may just let it rest and do a wait and see.
Sometimes prospective markets will have suggestions to make your project better and it's good to revise using their suggestions, you send it back, he/she may bite then. I have two other projects in the wings, Dream Drifter, a paranormal/thriller, and last year's NaNo project, as well as the one I will start in November, The Belle of Mobile, a supernatural/suspense kind of story.
It's also a good thing I learned, to have several things going, It can become tiring reading,and rereading the same words over and over. It can get bogged down in research material, or one of the characters may be going in a different direction (it happens). Put that aside for a few days and write a short story, take a month, more if necessary, and work on a larger project such as a novel or screenplay.
Writing is not simply sitting down and thinking it will just fall into your lap. Maybe of a select few, but that's so very, very rare. It's tedious work. It takes a long time, especially if your are just getting into it. Now if you want to write short stories, which I like to do too, it's not as complicated as far as information gathering. Poems, that's a whole different game I won't get into. Just like in music, dance, painting, etc. or anything in life, if you want it, get the passion and desire and keep it in your heart and head. Work, work, work, practice, practice, practice! Payoffs might not be so great, but that's not what should matter. Granted, when they get big enough to count I would like it very much, any fool would. Right now, finishing Savant and getting it to market is my focus.
I'm curious to see how many of you read this blog. How many of you will read the excerps I post? Keep in mind they are only tidbits. I'll give it until the end of the month. You read them, then let me know what you think coming from a reader's perspective. I'd appreciate the input!
Here is the prologue:

It started with one knife gliding through the air. Its blade silent, glinting and cruel. Cold, sharp winks increase in intensity as more knives join. Red tendrils of mist begin to weave through the knife ballet, circling a faceless man standing in the middle.
Max sat up gasping for air, gathering the sheet under his chin. His long hair matted in corkscrews, eyes wide, searching the batwing shadows clinging in the corners of the ceiling. Sweat popped out on his forehead. "Joe" was in his head again. Max struggled against the tangled bedspread. Fear tore at the edges of his subconscious, trying to pull him back into the dream. He dug out from the bed sheets and found his robe and slippers. He stared into the empty street from his darkened bedroom window, gazing at the shimmering lights of Bainbridge Island across Lake Washington. Sometimes watching the planes take off and land at Seattle-Tacoma airport helped loosen the constrictive feeling seizing his heart, threatening to squeeze every drop of blood until there was no more. The Mickey Mouse night light stared at him. Of course, Mickey wasn't scared; Mickey didn't have bad dreams about Bad Things.
He stopped in front of the empty canvas, his chest heaving, tears rolled down his puffy cheeks. Slowly Max sat down. His pupils began to dilate, his breathing slowed and the tears dried. He picked up a wax crayon, his favorite drawing medium, and began; his face set and determined as the crayons skated across the canvas, smooth and silent as the knives in his nightmare.

No comments: