Sunday, January 6, 2008

My sister's blog

Hello to all!


Almost a week into the New Year and it just keeps rolling on and on.....


My sister, after I convinced her she could do this has her own blog. I have competition! She will tell tales of our youth, and things that gets her blood boiling. Let me say that anything she says about me is not true! LOL:) She doesn't know it, but I think she could do well writing her own column in a newspaper, but her blog will do just as well. Of course there is no pay for her opinions, but insights to life and things she sees through her eyes are picked apart and put back together again.

If you want to visit her blog go to http://itsallinthetimong.blogspot.com/




As for work..... (boss is cringing)


We are staffed with only one extra person to cover when someone is not there. Our shifts run in twelve hour increments, and thankfully the weeks alternate as four days on, four days off. As of now, we have a position open which leaves only four of us to cover the shifts. There is one person who will tell you outright he is not a team player and gripes about his job and the company and the boss, he basically gripes about everything.

He doesn't like the boss because he thinks that when decisions are made, the boss is the one who has made them all. When weekend assignments are handed out, this person gripes because our boss at one time was an operator and in this person's opinion never did anything but sit in a chair shooting the breeze all day long.

There have been changes made in merit raises and licence requirements, this person grandfathered into a licence and now has to go take a test to get up to date, he blames this on our boss, not the guy's fault, but try telling that to him.

Now he is creating strife with me, at one time I respected this person. He's an excellent operator and knows the ins and outs of water treatment, but in his opinion, why would someone want to go to college and learn how to stick their head in a manhole? This person does not have an open mind and is stubborn as six mules going uphill, and he's finally pissed me off.

He does not care about his co-workers, they could sink or swim as far as he is concerned. He refuses to learn the technological aspects of our job and so when an issue arises, say the computer quits on the treatment systems and sludge spills everywhere, he walks off instead of correcting the situation.

Yeah I'm mad. I cherish my time off just like the rest of my co-workers. I take great pains to ensure the fact that should I need time off, I schedule it far enough in advance so others are aware of it. When situations arise where my boss and our maintenance guy have to get up at three in the morning to come in and fix things, I know they cherish their time off and their sleep! Yet,they are there to help in anyway possible. My poor boss has gone from brown hair to brown and gray hair in less than a year. The maintenance man is also an operator and between him and me, we fill in the days and nights if someone wants off. The other night shift operator is great, he helps fill in those gaps and comes in on his days off to do cleaning on our treatment units so this certain person does not have to drive in on his day off, because he has made it known he will not come in.

I have decided this person has lost alot of respect from me because of his crappy attitude. My boss can only do so much and personally I think he has bent over backwards to keep this person happy and it hasn't worked.

Said person went to our human resources manager instead of our boss and complained he had a week of vacation and wanted to take it. We are short handed anyway, he says it's not his fault the other operator quit, it's the boss'. He claims he is entitled to use his vacation, I agree, but....he could have done so earlier. Hell, there are 52 weeks in a year! There are including this person, four of us who have four weeks vacation.

Do the math! It just really pisses me off! What a sorry deal! He does not think of no one but his own selfish reasons, but perhaps I'm not seeing the whole picture. Perhaps I'm being selfish because my feet hurt and need the time for them to stop hurting. Twelve hours of walking and standing makes my feet hurt, don't know about anyone else. Yeah I gripe and bitch but I'm there to help out and would not ever place my co-workers in this situation. If we had two or three extra people, I damn sure wouldn't be writing about this person's lack of heart.

I think I need the Valium now! Maybe my feet wouldn't hurt and maybe I wouldn't give a flying ***k! I kind of wish this person would just quit, I could move up to the front of the work week, (providing the maintenance guy did not want the position) for me, that's the primo spot in this department.

I guess I've spouted off enough about this for now. Yeah, I'm still pissed. The five day week, (two day shifts and three night shifts) will make for an excellent pay check, but sometimes money isn't everything!

It messes with my body which has decided that it is time to go into menopause, so the griping, crying and whining will probably won't go away for sometime. (Sorry boss :() ) I try to have a positive outlook, for the most part I do. I like my job and my co-workers (execpt the one I'm complaining about) I couldn't ask for better people to work with. I just wish my feet, back and soulders agreed. Hell, if I did not ache so much I would still have a problem with it.

It's the principle of the issue.

1 comment:

LadyByrdbell said...

Sounds like the co-worker needs a reminder that there are hundreds of folks in this US that would LOVE his job and have a lot more respect for it!
Sorry you're experiencing all this, Connie! Oh.....and I REALLY feel sorry about the menopausal stuff! You are definitely going to enjoy the next 10 years! I'm not sure about the folks around you though.....
Good Luck, my Friend!
Crystal